From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 1999 8:31 PM
To: jtr@mitre.org; cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Cat and Head Problems with Binary Files

--- Jeffry T Ross <jtr@mitre.org> wrote:
> I've seen a lot of discussion about cat's handling of binary files.
> What I didn't see and would like to know is if the next version of
> cygwin will allow me to correctly pipe or redirect the output from
> cat and head if the source is a binary file?  Also, why were these
> programs implemented this way to begin with?

They are textutils for text files.  If you want something different, that is
the reason it's OpenSource.

> I'm trying to pipe a binary file to a program I wrote and either
> the pipe/redirect is breaking or cat/head is dying at arbitrary
> points in the binary files.  I suspect that my binary files contains
> what looks like an EOF.  This is similar to other threads I've seen
> on this list.

Definitly.  In this case, eiter modify the sources and recompile or use binary
mounts which will default to binary file processing.  WARNING: You'll have to
change all \r\n line endings in scripts to \n.

===
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)