Re: Cygwin sources: How to extract the *.bz2 files under win95?

eble.uebersetzungen@t-online.de (Johannes Eble) writes:
> Hello,
>
> I want to compile the cygnus sources for win95.  The problem is that
> I tried everything to extract the 2 files (user-src.tar.bz2 and
> dev-src.tar.bz2) without success:
> First I found a binary of bzip2 for dos, maybe this works, maybe not,
> but not for Win32, that is, not for long file names. When I decompress
> the two files with my bzip2.exe, I must rename it to a 8+3 name. Then
> after a longer decompression time (I assume) without any message the
> program prints out an error message and deletes the file created so
> far. Furthermore, I tried to compile a program to fix a corrupted
> *.bz2 file which finally worked. But this file extracted the blocks in
> the big file erronously. Now, I think it's time to ask a question. Is
> there a clean way (under win95) to extract the files?

Yes, there is. Install the Cygwin b20.1 usertools and then use the
programs installed to extract the sources.

You must have Cygwin installed to be able to do anything useful with
the sources, just as build/install it and so on. If you're going to
build the tree, you'll need to install the development package as well.

Regards,
Mumit