Re: 1 install 2 operating systems

In a message dated 99-07-30 08:47:10 EDT, c9502007@hud.ac.uk writes:

<< I could have one install of cygwin but have 2 oses use it.
 eg I have it installed on nt4 at the momment I also have windows 2K
 beta3 installed. I would like to use cygwin from w2k >>
There is no need to have cygwin installed in the registry of both OS's, nor
does it depend on any scheme for finding .dll's other than having a path
including the main /bin directory.  I simply set up a shortcut to cygnus.bat
in the second OS and modify PATH under Control Panel.  I would advise,
according to my experience, that you have at least the SP4 style NTFS drivers
installed in NT (I upgraded my NT from SP3 to SP5 for this purpose), and that
you install W2K on NTFS filesystem.

If one of the 2 OS's is installed on a FAT filesystem, I would suggest that
cygwin not be installed there except as a shortcut.  cygwin works extremely
well on W2K beta 3 on NTFS, but extremely poorly (e.g. when re-building
compilers) on FAT32.