B20.1 problem with cp between NT and 9x

I'm having a problem copying executables and DLLs from NT to a shared
directory on a Win98 system with cp. If I run cmp on the two
executables they differ, the original has a section of zero bytes and
the copy has what looks like fragments of source code. Stranger, this
was created with Borland C++ 5.01. If I make an executable with egcs,
no file corruption occurs on copying. Copying from an NT system to an
NT system works correctly, whether the target filesystem is NTFS or
FAT. The file name, i.e. bob.exe vs bob.txt, has no effect on the
process.  Copying with cut and paste or xcopy works fine. With
CYGWIN=binmode, sum returns different checksums on the two files, with
the CYGWIN variable unset the checksums are the same. The CYGWIN
variable doesn't seem to affect cp, and in fact that's what you see in
the source.  Ideas, suggestions, jeers?

						J. Toman