Re: xterms and vi

> > >It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.
It's
> > >unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with
the
> > >CYGWIN=tty scheme.
> >
> > Why is that unlikely?  I mean, can we make an "xterm" which acts both as
> > tty for Cygwin tools, *and* as a DOS console window for DOS
applications?

> Windows doesn't understand the UNIX terminal structures.

Well, I can understand how some Windows Console applications might have
difficulty operating in a straight "UNIX" terminal, but in my case I'm
mainly interested in Activestate's Perl debugger.

And I have discovered a rather trivial solution: the EMACS environment
variable :-).

ghart:ghart$ export EMACS=1
ghart:ghart$ perl -d /usr/s/srcl/build/bld

Emacs support available.

Enter h or `h h' for help.

main::(e:\usr\s\srcl\build\bld:56):
56:     $IS_NT_PERL = defined (&Win32::IsWinNT); # If we're using NT Perl
  DB<1>

I believe the general problem is the "con" file.  Applications (DOS/Windows/
CYGWIN) can open that file to gain direct access to the spawning console.
That appears to completely avoid STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR: which is the real
problem.

If there was a way to configure "con" to use the file handles associated
with STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR, then we'd have a more universal solution (unless
the
application was trying to do something fancy with the console, of course).

> Try a recent snapshot of the cygwin1.dll.  SET CYGWIN=notty and see what
> happens.  I think you'll be surprised.  The terminal emulation has been
> rewritten.

Yes I tried it, and it made things slightly worse.  No longer could I
operate
the "Windows" application from the originating *Console* (DOS prompt)
window.
"output" from "perl -d" would still appeared there, but "input" ("n", "q",
...)
no longer seemed to get back to "perl".  It's like the input stream for
"con"
was somehow cut off.

But, "EMACS" makes all of this mute.  Long live Emacs!!! ;^)

Geoff