RE: cygwin vs. MKS Toolkit

The MKS Toolkit never claimed to be POSIX compliant.  They _did_
try to be SysV compatible insofar as the underlying OS allowed it.

The issue is that MKS does _not_, to my knowledge, use GNU code as
the base.  They had their own source tree for the utilities they
offered, developed internally, since back before the GNU binutils
existed in DOS/Win32 ports.  While it's possible they subsequently
picked up and used the GNU source (I'm several releases behind in my
copy, and I may have missed a later development) I doubt it, as the
GNU liscense would likely forbid it, and they wouldn't need to since
they already had code that was developed, stable, and worked for most
of what GNU binutils provides.

You may not care for the Toolkit, but claiming they are charging
for free software is probably untrue.

______
Dennis