Problems installing a Perl module

Hi,

I'm using b20.1 with Cygwin Perl 5.005.003-dynamic.  I just tried to
install the HTML module but the 'make install' squawked about not
having permissions to install in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/cygwin32.
My / (c:\) is FAT so I guess I can't set perms.

I created a root entry in /etc/passwd and tried 'su -' and was told that
cygwin1.dll couldn't be found in the canned PATH list.  Does this
qualify as a bug?

I built a new 'su' with my full PATH, but after invoking it the shell seems
braindead.  'history' says permission denied, 'dirs' says "not found", as
does 'pushd' and 'popd'.  Anyone know what gives?

Regards,
Doug Wyatt