Re: Question about gcc Linker

MS implibs cannot be linked using current binutils ;-)

There is NO support in binutils for COMDAT symbols.

Static MS libraries/objs can be linked using current
binutils, but there are some problems even with that.
combining precompiled static MS libraries/objs (which
assume msv libc/crt functions) with cygwin gcc compiled code
will usually fail, you can't mix runtimes.

Even using mingw32 some of the startup routines
just aren't there. The only way to guarantee compatibility
is to buy a copy of vc++ compile the libc libcmt etc...
using mingw32 gcc (a Major project in itself !-) and
then link using link.exe.

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:12:35 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 11:26:31AM -0400, Lincoln, W. Terry wrote:
>>> What additional libraries do i need and how must I adress them in the
>>> gcc -l option? I always get a 'no such file or directory' message, when
>>> I try to add a library.
>>
>>You can't link libraries or object files from the Micro$oft format with
>>Cygwin gcc.  Addressing libraries that are Cygwin such as libXYZ.a is
>>done with the switch -LXYZ on the gcc line.

BTW -Ldir -lXYZ will link with dir/libXYZ.a
the second switch is small ell.
you will need to copy or link (ln -s) XYZ.lib libXYZ.a
otherwise ld won't be able to find it.