file attributes ( was: RCS for Cygwin)

hello,

we want to use RCS for revision control of our SW development project.

Environment:
 Workstations with Windows NT 4.x
 Source repository on Novell Netware Server
 Novell Netware Client
 RCS 5.7 ported to Cygwin B20.x
 Cygwin B20.1

when checking in files ci reports permission denied for the repository
file xx.yy,v. if you do that on a local drive, all is ok.

we assume, that the file permissions can't be determined by cygwin from
the novell drive.

Any ideas for salvage? its urgent.

thanks in advance
Bernhard Bitsch