CYGWIN environment variable setup

Hi,
   I'm a cygwin newbie, and so far I'm having good luck setting up my paths,
mounts,
and bash startup files, but I'm puzzled by the following excerpt from the
cygwin online
documents

:quote:
The CYGWIN variable is used to configure many global settings for the Cygwin
runtime system. Initially you can leave CYGWIN unset or set it to tty using a
syntax like this in the DOS shell, before launching bash.
C:\Cygnus\> set CYGWIN=tty notitle strace=0x1
:unquote:

If I put the above line in my cygnus.bat, I get a syntax error from
command.com
because of the second equals sign, and the CYGWIN environment variable is not
set.

If I put  "CYGWIN=tty notitle strace=0x1"  in my .profile, I end up with an
enviroment
variable strace=0x1, but no CYGWIN variable. This seems to give bash a
seizure.

I've searched the archives for info, but all I've come up with is the
indication that

set CYGWIN=tty

is all that's required.

Can anyone enlighten me?