Win9x Ring0 programming, was: Fwd: Re: VxD device drivers

Hello dale,

dale henderson <dalekh@hotmail.com> wrote:

dh> Is there any open source software to create Win9x device drivers?
dh> I would like to try VxDWriter, but it currently just supports VC++.
dh> Is it possible for Mingw32 or Cygwin to support LE file format?
[]

  Well, not directly connected, but may be interesting: recently I had
peculiarity to implement decent copy-on-write fork on win95. Since
waiting for LE creation ability with gnuwin32 was infeasible, I just used technique
exemplified by tools available from www.internals.com - they just
abruptly install Ring0 callgate descriptor into GDT (win9x allows that) and
voila - system VxD services are available. Simple sed run over vmm32.h
from Win9x DDK allowed me to use it.

  I failed to achieve original goal - stupid thing doesn't have
concept of ownership of physical pages, so it cannot be made to hold
page while it's mapped in at least one virtual address space, but at
least I saw the rock with my own eyes.

Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:paul-ml@is.lg.ua