Re: can I use STL in src/winsup ?

DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> writes:

> Also, adding STL means that STL has to be built as part of the winsup
> snapshots, and it currently isn't.  We'd have to add all of STL (and
> possibly other C++ libraries) to the snapshot builds and sources if
> you use it.

We should not add any more dependencies in winsup, especially libstdc++,
which is going through a major change (libstdc++-v3). One example of
breakage is when STL allocators were in the past, it caused binary
incompatibility, and that's highly undesirable. Take this scenario for
example: I build cygwin.dll using my version of the compiler which
uses a different version of SGI STL, and you build your yours using a
different version. Now the two are incompatible!  No good, sorry.

We should also stay far away from cutting edge C++ features in winsup,
and features that can have adverse performance ramifications.

Regards,
Mumit