Re: snap-shots questions ?

> 1.I dont'understand the difference beetwen winsup-src vs cygwin-src
> and beetwen cygwin1.$(date).dll vs cygwin-inst-$(date), what is the
> difference ?

cygwin1.dll is built from two parts: the cygwin-specific stuff, and a
generic C library.  winsup-src is *just* the cygwin-specific parts
(and hence the focus of this group) while cygwin-src is *all* the
sources.

cygwin1.dll is just the latest dll; often people will try that real
quick to see if their bug is fixed.  The cygwin-inst includes that
plus all the support exes, headers, import libraries, etc.  Sometimes
you need all that, usually not.

> 2.What is the right procedures to install a snap-shot?
> I usually overwrite the old .exe and .dll  with the new..
> Is this correct?

Snapshots are just for testing, so copying the new over the old is
usually the best way to test it.  Save your old files in case the
snapshot isn't usable.

> 3. How is possible to recompile a snap-shot.

Get cygwin-src and build it like any GNU package.

> 4. Why the snapshot-19990115? Is it  a more stable snap-shot ?

It was just after we fixed a nasty Win95 bug, but just before we made
the mount tables incompatible, so we saved it.  It's a good
replacement for the B20.1 dll for people having that particular
problem.

> 5. And ....contain every snap-shot all the previous?

Yes, but that means they might include new bugs too.