Using mingw32 to build cross-tools

A little off-topic, but...

Are there any issues involved with using mingw32 to build cross toolchains
of binutils, gcc-2.95, etc.?  I have sucessfully built a i686-pc-cygwin X
mips-sony-psx chain that built without issues (for details on the
"mips-sony-psx" target e-mail me personally), but I'm not sure if it would
work with mingw32 because most of the commands used by the configure and
build scripts run under, well, cygwin.  I've tried mixing mingw32 and
cygwin beta 19 in the past and all hell broke loose.  If anyone has tried
this, let me know.

Marcus

P.S. Now that I think about it, would a Canadian cygwin->mingw32->mips be
possible? Would that be the best way to go?