Re: can cygwin Tcl/Tk be made to speak X?

Jeffrey Juliano <juliano@cs.unc.edu> writes:
> we have an openGL visualization app that now runs on a (inexpensive
> compared to an SGI) winNT pc using the cygwin environment.  (thank you,
> cygwin development team, for making this possible, and making it
> relatively easy to port!!!!)
>
> Our app uses Tcl/Tk for the GUI.  We really need to have the GUI display
> on a different machine than the openGL window.  This is easy to do when
> running on an SGI, since Tcl/Tk is an X client.  (just set DISPLAY
> elsewhere.)  Can Tcl/Tk be configured, in cygwin, to speak to an X
> server instead of using native win32 calls?
>
> I've searched the cygwin FAQ, Mumit's Tcl/Tk page, and the Tcl/Tk FAQ,
> as well as the cygwin archives.  If the answer is there, I've missed it.

You'll need to build tcl/tk in the "unix" mode instead of the native win32
mode.

You may run into one or two little problems, but if you have X11
development libraries/includes and all that, you can just configure and
build the whole thing in the {tcl,tk}/unix directories. See Scriptics
web site for Unix configuration/installation help.

However, before you build Cygwin Tcl/Tk as Unix, you'll need to apply
a few trivial patches. I remember that Sergey Okhapkin had those on
his web page at http://www.lexa.ru/sos/

Mumit