Re: Making Cygwin write DOS style text files

--- Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us> wrote:
> On 29 Sep 1999 around 8:08PM (+0200) Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
>
> > [...] but other users out there will think that my Cygwin-based
> > script does a poor job if it produces files that "look weird" in
> > the Microsoft environment.
> >
> > So, while I consider the CR LF convention to be among the stupidest
> > of this century, I still have to stick to it :-(.
>
> You have been assimilated. :-)
>
> Although not as elegant as awk, you may find Rahul Dhesi's
> 'flip' useful. There's a Cygwin port with man pages at
> <http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/flip-1.00.tgz>.
>
> > It turns out that I was on a text!=binary mount, and that creating
> > a text=binary mount did not solve my problem (either way I get
> > files with a single LF as the end-of-line sequence).
>
> I don't understand why you're getting those type files with text
> mounts (text!=binary). I use text mounts and only text mounts on
> Win95 to achieve what I think you are after. Most files created with
> Cygwin tools on my setup have CR/LF pairs for line endings. I thought
> that was the purpose of text mounts!

There is a bug in the stock b20.1 cygwin that could cause this.  See my pages,
the cygwin documentation pages at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin and the
mail archives for more information on this.

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)