Re: not updating unwritable cache ../config.cache

Kai Henningsen wrote:

> On 5 Oct 99, at 14:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > 'ntsec' is definitely not the wrong option. 'ntsec' is the better
> > choice if you are using NTFS filesystems. 'ntea' is a hack that uses
>
> What do I need for it, then?

Use mkpasswd and mkgroup to create /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.
In the current snapshots, the following rules are important:

- Dont use user and/or group names that are different from the
  NT account names.
  Ever:  administrators::544:
  Never: admins::544:
- Typically, group 513 is your primary group. This is `None' outside
  and `Domain Users' inside of NT domains.
  The primary group membership isn't important for `ntsec', so you
  may change your group entry in /etc/passwd to, e.g., administrators
  group:

	kai::1000:544:Kai Henningsen:/home/kai:/bin/sh

- Use `umask' command in your profile, e.g.: `umask 022'.

Try a `touch foo' and `ls -l foo'. Without `ntsec' you'll get:

  -rw-r--r-- 1 administ none        0 Oct 5 20:00 foo

With `ntsec':

  -rw-r--r-- 1 kai      administ    0 Oct 5 20:00 foo

> > And don't use an account, that is member of the administrators group.
>
> Not really an option.

When you try `ntsec' you will see that this problem is gone.
Maybe, you get other ones... but I'm working hard in making
`ntsec' better.

And last but not least:
- Constructive feedback always welcome.
- Patches are gratefully accepted.

> > In this case the file owner and the user are diverging.
>
> Huh. NT bug?

No, NT `feature' ;-}
If a user is member of the administrators group, the administrators
group will be the owner of _every_ object that is created by him/her
(including files, processes, semaphores,...)
_if_ _not_ _explicitly_ _changed_! This job is done by `ntsec'.

Regards,
Corinna