Win-MySQL libs??

Hi, CygWin Users! This Alberto Corbi, a Spanish student of physics.
I've been using cygwin-WinGcc for a few days and I'm very interested in
it.
I've doing some tricks in importing Linux Apps to Windows using GTK+ an so
with succes. Now I was interested in using the shareware version of MySQL
for Windows. This version includes a dameon server and a small client
which
works Ok in the CygWin bash. It also has a include file and a *.lib and a
*.dll library son that you can link your own software with the server. And
now the problem: what we have is a *.lib library instead the common gcc
*.a

What can I do to obtain a *.a? Has anybody done it before? I do not have
any
idea of what to do... I'm new in Win programming, so I would appreciate
any
help comming from anywere. I can even send you the *.lib file and the
include file to rebuild the library to a *.a one if that helps.

Please, reply to my mail adress. Thank you beforehand.
<alberto@alufis35.ffisic.uv.es>