RE: compiling a linux kernel

Compiling a Linux kernel is even under Linux a very complex proces. It only
works well with specific versions of GCC, and uses (used?) some horrible
hacks, like exploiting bugs in GCC. Also, this process is that big a load to
the system, I actually use it as a reliable memory test on new machines (if
the compilation fails, there's a very big chance that a RAM chip is broken).

Crosscompiling is an even more complex issue, as is emulating Unix on NT. So
what you're trying to do is _extremely_ complex. You're bound to run into
some problems sooner or later. Better just compile the kernel on a powerpc
running LinuxPPC, or, if that is not an option, a Linux/x86 running a
cross-compiler.