rsync not doing the right thing...

Well, I've tried various versions of precompiled rsync, as well as rolling
my own copy from the 2.3.1 source, but I can't get it to work correctly.

Specifically, I'm trying to sync a local tree on a Windows NT Server box
with a remote tree on a Solaris box.  The whole point of using rsync is so
that I can make the NT box's filetree look like the remote filetree in the
minimum network traffic -- sending only diffs.

BUT, using a command of the form:

  rsync -avvz remotehost::share/filetree c:\localfiletree

from an NT command prompt (having to embed this in a batch file, so have to
have it work from CMD.EXE) resends every file, in its entirety, every time.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there's some kind of text translation issue
going on here that makes the local and remote files hash differently and so
seem changed.  But my mounts are all binary, and I have CYGWIN set to
binmode.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance for any help....