'date' command in Cygwin

I am running Cygwin on my Windows 95 PC haveing installed the binary distribution. Last week I ran the 'date' command and found that the time reported was 1 hour earlier than it should - ie it was reporting GMT rather than taking account of Daylight Saving (BST). As our clocks have now gone back the time is correct but only because it defaults to GMT. Next Spring it will all go horribly wrong again!

The Cygwin date command gives -> Tue Nov  2 17:31:16  1999
whereas the MKS Toolkit gives    -> Tue Nov  2 17:31:48 GST 1999
How can I get Cygwin 'date' to recognize the timezone on a Win95 (or NT4) machine?

Regards,

Frank Swinnerton