Semicolor seperator in Perl system() command under WinNT

Hi,

What do I need to do to be able to use semicolons in the system command in
Perl under WinNT?

For example:

$log = system ("cd foo; ls");

This works fine under Win98.  But under WinNT, I get nothing.  I get nothing
anytime I use semicolon or other punctuation inside the system command.  But
single commands work fine.  Same holds true for backticks.

Cygwin 20.1, Perl 5.005_03 for Cygwin.

Thanks!

--
Elliot Mednick                              51 Sawyer Rd, Suite 110
Processor Architect                         Waltham, MA. 02453