problem with bash on cygwin cd

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem with the CD version of cygwin.
In the old installation (B20.1), a shortcut ran a batch file that
then started bash.
When bash started it would then run the .profile that it was supposed
to.

The batch file was as follows:

@echo off
set make_mode=unix
set home=/root
set tmp=/tmp
/bin/bash

The .profile is:

export PS1="a funky prompt here"
export TERM=linux
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH
alias ls="ls --color"

This all worked fine.  NOw, the standard shortcut
points directly to bash, so i set a global variable to point at
HOME.
When i start bash now, the first line is:
: No such file or directoryprofile

And it doens't run a single thign in the file.
This also happens when I go in normally and type "source .profile".
I've tried to tell it to use the batch file, this doesn't fix it.
I've typed in each line in the .profile manually, and they all worked.

Any one got any ideas?

(And it can't be a clash between different versions of cygwin, I
reinstalled windows before installing the cd)
I'm running NT4.0 Server, SP5.

Oh, and btw, a seperate one, I tried to generate a password file.
> mkpasswd -d
and the output was:
Everyone:*:0:0:::
SYSTEM:*:18:18:::