Re: openGl-Headers not in mingw-2.95.2

Hi folks,

On 18 Nov 99, at 16:09, the Illustrious Mumit Khan wrote:

> Georg Fusz <fusz@cadlab.tu-berlin.de> writes:
> > In the mingw-2.95.2(msvcrt) the the subdirectory "gl"
> > (opengl-headers) is not include in the directory
> > "i386-mingw32msvc/include". I copied the directory from
> > mingw-2.95. I hope that this correct.
>
> The OpenGL headers are not part of Mingw runtime distribution,
> but if you have a set that worked with 2.95, it'll work with
> 2.95.2 as well.

> For more information on where you can get these, see the
> following message by Laura Michaels:
>
>   You can find OpenGL headers and some dlls at either of the
>   following sites:
>
>   http://www.cim.pe.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~kawachi/software/cygwin_glut-e
>   .html http://people.montana.com/~bowman/Software/ming.htm

	Another site (ftp) to get the SGI 1.2 OpenGL headers is

		ftp://ftp.teleport.com/pub/users/pgarceau/

	This archive includes the .def and  .a  (lib) files already
converted from the MS .lib files for use with crtdll.dll based
version of Mingw32 (GCC-2.8.x).

	Included with the archive, you will find a fairly extensive
tutorial and cross-reference for the OpenGL API v1.2.  This is
included as part of sgi-opengl2.exe.

	The header files are the original SGI OpenGL  v1.2 version of
gl.h and glu.h.  The language is C.  glut.h is not included.

	If you need the C++ language stuff, then it looks like you'll
be better off getting the V IDE.

	If you aren't using C++, then all that is necessary is that you
link the respective mingw32 lib files (.a) at compile time.

>   Am not sure if one is better than the other, although the first
>   site seems to be more up-to-date.  Maybe this would be a good
>   group discussion topic, what headers would be best to use with
>   mingw32.

>   I was able to get the examples at
>   http://trant.sgi.com/opengl/examples/
>   win32_tutorial/win32_tutorial.html and some of the examples
>   provided at the first URL to compile and run, so it is possible
>   to get OpenGL working.  You have to create your own make files
>   or use the command line with the win32_tutorial.zip code.

>   I've also been trying to locate some good OpenGL tutorials on
>   the web (or some good book recommendations).  So far the only
>   useful one I've found is:
>   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Code/1219/opengl32.html

	There really isn't a lot available for GCC for Win32.  The
closest you might be able to find is written with the Win32
(Win9x) platform in mind since it makes extensive use of the MS
OpenGL Aux API.

	If you can manage getting around the MS OpenGL Aux (MS specific
"glut") stuff, is, "OpenGL Superbible -- The Complete Guide to
OpenGL Programming for Windows NT and Windows 95" from the Waite
Group Press.

	Bear in mind that the title above is based on v1.1 of OpenGL (C
language), and does not include any coverage of those things
added to the OpenGL API as of version 1.2.

>   If anyone has any others, I'd be very interested in hearing
>   about it.

	Hope this helps.

	Peace,

		Paul G.