New install problems

I'm new to cygwin, I come from a Unix background, so I am lost on windows.

So please forgive my ignorance.

I have tried to install the cygwin full.exe on both 95 and NT 4.0 SP4.  I
would like to set up cygwin so when I bring up the bash shell it maps my
root to d:/unix.  I believe I am following the Users Guide properly.  After
installing cygwin I start the bash shell and it comes up fine.  I unmount
root and remount it using "mount //d/unix /".  It gives me the expected
error message that / does not exist.  I then exit out of bash and restart
it.  Now on the 95 box when I try to change to / I get the error message
'cd /: No such device'.

On the NT 4.0 box I do the same thing and when I restart bash the cursor
just sits there for a minute or so then it gives me a prompt.  If I try to
do anything it hangs for a minute or so then gives me a prompt.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Tim McGinnis