Re: ANN: Cygwin Install/Upgrade Tips (was: RE: Cygwin upgrade hassles)

"Gary R. Van Sickle" wrote:

> Hi Paul (and others seeking step-by-step Cygwin Install/Upgrade
> instructions),
>
> I just put up a site that walks you through the Cygwin b20.1 base install
> and/or update procedures step-by-step.  Take a look at it here:
>
> http://www.woodsoup.org/projs/ORKiD/cygwin.htm
>
> These instructions will get you Cygwin b20.1 with the latest pre-pthreads
> "Snapshot" (pthreads snapshot coming soon), a decent terminal (rxvt) if
> you're on Windows 95/98, the latest gcc and binutils, and the latest make,
> with the latest bash coming soon.

I've found it necessary to include also the following files in /bin
because certain config & makefiles seem to assume their presence without
checking, and fail when they are not present:

  awk
  bash
  sh (== bash)
  cat
  cmp
  echo
  find
  pr
  pwd
  sed
  tr

--Chuck

(p.s. also check out my usr-local tarball for cygwin snapshots at
http://cygutils.netpedia.net/)