Re: Norland Win32 API

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 N8TM@aol.com wrote:

> Aren't those the headers which have been in the snapshots since late January?
>  So another possibility would be to install the snapshots, and possibly the
> corresponding compiler versions?

Here's a quick timeline of w32api as it relates to Cygwin:

  - Anders releases 0.1.5
  - Cygwin snapshots start using this + few changes
     - Cygwin starts adding changes and sends the changes back to Anders
  - Anders releases 0.2 which have the Cygwin changes + lots more.
  - I take 0.2, add lots of stuff, merge Cygwin changes and put that
    up for ftp along with gcc-2.95.2
    ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/gcc-2.95.2/

Cygwin's dev snapshots now have something that needs updating, but
there're some gotchas. The version of gcc that Cygwin team uses has
some known bugs in pragma pack handling (those bugs are not in any
of my egcs/gcc releases), and that has forced them to add buggy
declarations to get around the bugs, either knowingly or unknowingly.

Anders sent me his latest snapshot. I've taken that, fixed some problems,
added some local stuff, merged in Cygwin dev changes. I'll put that up
for ftp sometime soon. I don't expect the Cygwin team to adopt this
right away as this will certainly create some transient, but hopefully
short-lived, problems.

Complicated? Oh yeah.

I need to get this out next week before I take off to spend the new year
in a technologically backwards place where nothing can go wrong just
because it's y2k ;-) Of course, there's also the sun and 75 degrees in the
shade by the beach.

Regards,
Mumit