Re: cygwin1 troubles

> Adam Shepard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use cygwin1 with tape/tar support with a SCSI Quantum
> DLT tape drive running under NT 4.0.
>
> tar tvf /dev/rmt0
>
> will list the contents of the tape (a tar archive), but when I try to
> extract or list specific file names, as in
>
> tar xvf /dev/rmt0 file1.bz2
> tar tvf /dev/rmt0 file1.bz2
>
> for files that are on the tape, the tape just reads to eot and then
> rewinds.

Hi Adam,

this works for me. Are you sure that you have used the exact
filename? If the file is stored as eg. "foo/bar/file1.bz2", tar
doesn't list (or extract) the file if you only search for
"file1.bz2". Try it again with the full path. And remember:
If not given the option `-P' or `--absolute-names', tar strips
leading slashes to avoid absolute paths.

> output of mount is:
>
> Device           Directory           Type        Flags
> tape0            tape                native      text!=binary
> Tape0            /tape0              native      text!=binary
> tape0            /mnt/tape           native      text!=binary
> \\.\tape0        /dev/rmt0           native      text=binary
> [...]

You know that the first three entries in the mount table are...
hmm... disfunctional, do you?!?

BTW: To use the tape as norewind device, add a mount table entry
with a leading "n" in the device name:

    mount -b -s //./tape0 /dev/nrmt0
                               ^

Regards,