Re: [mingw32] Re: ANNOUNCE selfhosting mingw32

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Chris Faylor wrote:

> Since there is apparently a separate forum designed for discussing this
> very topic can I suggest that you move this conversation there?

No, please. Let's just let it die. We don't need yet another licensing
debate that is a rehash of every other licensing debate that we've ever
had.

> Out of curiousity, would it help if I had Cygnus sponsor a mingw mailing
> list?  I've thought about this from time to time but since the two
> projects were sort of linked, I never took action.  Now that there is a
> mingw which does not rely on cygwin, I am thinking that enforcing a
> distinction between the two projects makes sense.

Actually, Mingw hasn't "depended" on Cygwin for years now, either for
building (I've built all the releases under Unix) or running. They're
still linked of course due to the common backends used by the compiler
and especially binutils.

There is a pretty active mailing list for Mingw, so I don't believe we
need another forum (and the resulting confusion). Perhaps a link from
Cygwin home page?

   Post Message mingw32@eGroups.com
   Subscribe mingw32-subscribe@eGroups.com

> Also, if there is an interest in having a separate mingw ftp/http
> location on sourceware.cygnus.com, I can pursue that.

That may definitely be useful, even if it's at the mirroring level. I'd
like to revisit this issue in Jan, and probably bring this up again.

Regards,
Mumit