SSH and terminal emulator problems

I have recently installed SSH1&2. from
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Okhapkin_Serg
ey
and I have the same problems as reported here several times.
Maybe related to /dev/tty.  I am absolutely novice about what /dev/tty is.
The nearest symptom is:

Mail Archives: cygwin/1998/01/11/14:13:31

> Also concerning the terminal, when I first log in with ssh, it seems to
> pause waiting for some keyboard input (which isn't the normal behavior),
> and sometimes starts spitting out "invalid escape" errors until I
hitcntl-c.

And in fact, there are already given good solutions:
1) get Fsecure ssh.
2) build ncurses and 'tset -s -Q -l ansi'?
3) rxvt(runs without Xserver)
4) install Xserver and xterm (or kterm = kanji xterm)

I have tried 3)(http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html), and it works fine, except
for
that it does not support locale and does not print Japanese.  I prefer DOS
window
which prints Japanese, but it waits for inputs with SSH as reported above.
I'm afraid to install Xserver into my poor machine.
(and TTSSH(http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html) is not enough for me
since it does not support SSH2)

Anyway, it seems there is no complete answer for me.
Anybody can teach me why DOS window (or emacs shell-mode) is
so incomplete in emulating terminals?  What is /dev/tty?

A.T.