telnet to NT and using bash there

Hi,

I'm trying to telnet to my NT 4.0 sp6 box from somewhere else (either
another NT or a SUN).

I have Exceed version 6.1 running, including its telnetd (I've got a patched
version from hcl just last week). I have Cygwin B20.1. I installed
ncurses-4*.
CYGWIN=tty
TERM=cygwin

Various problems occur, most of these have already been addressed in this
mailing list, but I couldn't really figure everything out. So, if anyone
would like to make a summary for me, I'll be very grateful (and other people
as well I guess).

Question 1:

The screen generally gets messed up, presumably because of not understanding
the terminal. I might have to set TERM to something else then cygwin though.

For example, I have an xterm on a SUN, telnet to my PC, set CYGWIN etc.,
call bash. Screen gets a mess soon. I set TERM to xterm, other mess on the
screen. I also seem to need to press multiple times Enter before anything
happens.

Question 2:

Which editor to run ?

I've seen comments on using vim-5.3 (for example built by Michael Hirmke).
However, I am confused by the difference between Michael's built-in-term or
no-gui.
I tried the no-gui version, but

- when run locally, I get first error messages on "terminal entry not found
in terminfo. 'cygwin' not found" (this is funny: I do have cygwin in my
/etc/termcap)
Then vim does start up (defaulting to 'ansi'), but arrow keys don't work
(and other things?)

- when run from a telnet session, screen is generally a mess as well (but I
guess I first have to sort out the 1st question)

Of course, I'd rather have (x)emacs in non-GUI mode...

Question 3:

* As an alternative, I have an X server (as I run Exceed), so I can actually
run X programmes from my NT box, and display them on any X client. Will
(say) xemacs with an X interface work that way ?
I'm not very optimistic though. If I open on xterm on my PC (displaying it
on the remote machine), and run vim, the thing hangs immediately (also with
TERM=xterm).

Many thanks for any help.

Kris

PS: I'm not on the mailing list anymore. Could you please reply directly to
me as well ?

Kris Thielemans
(kris.thielemans@ic.ac.uk)
MRC Cyclotron Unit,
Hammersmith Hospital,
DuCane Rd,London W12 0NN, United Kingdom

Phone on :   +44 (020)8383 3731
FAX on :     +44 (020)8383 2029

http://cu.rpms.ac.uk/~kris