Network drives in telnet session?

All,

After a protracted battle, I finally have Cygwin inetd working properly
and can successfully telnet into a cygwin session.  Unfortunately, I
cannot access any mounted shares from such a login!  The cygwin 'mount'
and NT 'net' commands show the drives as being mounted, but any access is
met with "permission denied".

My session seems to be running under the correct NT user and group ids,
and I'm even able to umount and remount the shares!  I just can't do
anything with them.  The only obvious problem reported by 'net use' is
that the shares appear as "unavailable" in the telnet session.

I have tried having the inetd service run as 'System' and 'Administrator'
with no change in the misbehavior.

If I start a shell directly on the NT box, everything is fine.

Any hints?

Steve