Re: Permission denied with makeinfo from texinfo-4.0

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:30:41AM -0500, J. David Bryan wrote:
>On 15 Mar 2000, at 0:08, Chris Faylor wrote:
>
>> Defining -DWIN32 is not usually a good idea.  It usually causes packages
>> to use windows specific code and workarounds which are not necessary for
>> cygwin.
>
>Generally sound advice.  However, in this case, -DWIN32 changes the
>behavior of only file (files.c) of the makeinfo source.  It does two
>things:
>
> * It works around the bug mentioned, albeit by reading the source file a
>   character at a time instead of all in one go.

I don't know why reading the file a character at a time would do anything
but slow down texinfo.  Don't you still get a \r and a \n?

> * It does not use $HOME as a search path for texinfo files.

Why is this desirable?

>To avoid the problem, O_BINARY must be undefined, not simply zero.
>Undefining it will avoid the invalid buffer (by compiling different code)
>at the cost of losing the ability to process texinfo files containing
>Windows line ends.

So this was just a problem with \r\n in a texinfo file?  The solution to
that seems simple enough.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Hmm.  Maybe you need an x-ray."

or something like that.

cgf