Re: Cygwin performance (was [ANN] PW32 the...)

At 01:26 PM 3/16/00, Chris Nappi wrote:
>I know that I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone would put some sort of stat_lite into ls.  I work with cygwin almost exclusively over a Samba connection, and have been forced to use the ls from the Microsoft Unix toolkit because the speed on ls -l, ls -CF and ls --color is so slow over a network drive.
>Chris

Just so things don't get confused, in order to determine information that
ls -CF and ls --color need, files need to be open.  The Win32 API doesn't
provide other options.  So, these features don't allow you to have it both
ways (i.e. you either wait or you don't use those features).  However, all
of this I'm addressing in the context of what happens in the Cygwin
implementation of stat().  If one is going to take the time to actually
modify ls, one might as well remove the calls to stat() and replace them
with whatever one feels is an appropriate substitute (assuming
one feels that decreased functionality for these options is adequate).
Making such a change only requires access to the code for ls (from the
Cygwin source or any GNU site) and a bit of programming.  No Cygwin (stat()
or otherwise) needed!;-)

                                        (508) 560-1285 - cell phone