B20: serial ports status?

Hello,

In november 1998 there was a question regarding "gdb serial
cross-debugging" (
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/1998-11/msg00297.html )

1:  Has anyone succesfully talked to the arm-Angel using a serial line and
using b20? If so what version of gdb /angel did you use?
2: Have these problems been solved  in any of the snapshots? if so which
one?

versions:
Cygwin b20
gdb 4.17 (can't get 4.18 to build yet, but there is enough about that in
the ml-archive :-)
Angel version 1.04 and 1.20 both give the same result. (the funny thing is
when I don't connect the serial line to the board I get exactly the same
output.)

thanks in advance,
    Rene Affourtit

output of gdb:
GNU gdb 4.17-ecosSWtools-arm-990321
are
conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.  This version of GDB is
supported
for customers of Cygnus Solutions.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i586-cygwin32 --target=arm-elf".
(gdb) target rdi s=com1
   DEBUG: Buffer allocated in angel_RDI_open(type=10).
   negotiate_params
   sent negotiate packet
RDI_open: undefined error message, should reset target
   DEBUG: Entered angel_RDI_info.
   DEBUG: RDIInfo_Target.
   wait_for_debug_message waiting for 80010001

(indented lines are debug info from gdb)