How to change "/" from textmode to binmode?

Following up on the exchange below, I find I can't change / back from text
to binmode, mainly because I can't unmount it, even though umount doesn't
complain:

c:\>umount /

c:\>mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
c:\cygnus\usr       /usr                user         binmode
c:\cygnus\bin       /usr/bin            user         binmode
c:\cygnus\lib       /usr/lib            user         binmode
\\.\tape0:          /dev/st0            user         textmode
\\.\tape1:          /dev/st1            user         textmode
\\.\a:              /dev/fd0            user         textmode
\\.\b:              /dev/fd1            user         textmode
C:                  /                   user         textmode

c:\>

How can I change / from textmode back to binmode if I want to do so?

Thanks.

Richard Stanton