Re: CYGWIN-1.1.0 trouble: 40 to 80 sec delay if no network connection

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 12:04:06PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> I do not have a $HOME/.bashrc or $HOME/.bash_profile at the moment.
>
>What is HOME set to?  Or better, run "cygcheck -r -s -v" and send us
>the output.

The TMPDIR variable is also translated by cygwin1.dll v1.1.0.  Is it
possible that this is a network path?

Also, if you run "strace -osomefile /bin/pwd" it will probably be
obvious what is causing the delay.  There will be a really large
number in the first field of somefile.

>> It seems to me that with the "!D:" etc. variables mentioned above,
>> CYGNUS keeps track of the last visited directories on the various
>> partitions.
>
>No, this is something that Windows does in order to preserve the
>dos-ism of each drive having a "current directory", when there are
>multiple "dos" machines running.  It's documented in MSDN.

Actually, we add the "!" in front of the environment variables.  Microsoft
uses a "=" for these variables and we translate that to "!" since "="
is an invalid character for environment variable names in UNIX land.

cgf