RE: Cygwin 1.0: Error when launching MSDOS bat file from bash on Windows 2000

Earnie,

Well, I've finally understood why it does not work on Windows 2000. On 2000, the cmd.exe is more restrictive that in NT: it does not accept path with forward slashes '/' as it does in NT 4.0

The workaround I use for interactive use it to define the following alias:
start_file () {
    cmd /c `cygpath -w $1`
}
alias start=start_file

Then I would type in my bash shell:

> start ./test1/test2/run.bat

Note that it also works for other type of files such as MS words files (it launches MS-Word), PDF, HTML, and all the files whose extension have been mapped to an application on the NT workstation.

For our bash scripts, we'll specifically invoke cmd /c `cygpath -w ./test1/test2/run.bat`

I hope this can help other cygwin users.

Regards,

Guillaume.