Opening local URL in browser

From my cygwin application, I'd like to open a local html file in the
default system browser. Looking through the Xemacs sources, I found
the 'ShellExecute' call (in file objects-msw.c). Called from within
Xemacs, it does exactly what I had expected. Duplicating the system
call with exactly the same arguments in my little test program with:
#include <windows.h>
int main()
{
  ShellExecute(NULL, "open", NULL, "index.html", "d:\\home\\obachman\\tmp\\", SW_SHOWDEFAULT);
}

does not bring up the HTML browser, but the FileBrowser with the C: directory
as its contents. The same happens if I play around with the directory
and location of the index.html file and/or the SW_* parameter

Do I still have to call some initialization before ShellExecute works
as expected? What else could I do to open a local URL in a browser?

Thanks for any help,
Olaf