UNIX programming

HI

I"m a student of computer science  in the University of Bar-Ilan in Israel. I need to write a  unix project but I have a hard time with the developing environment which is not very user friendly. is it possible for me to use the cygwin lib and by this be able to use the MSDEV environment as my development platform for a UNIX/LINUX application ?
Where can I get information on how to do that ?

Waiting for your reply,

Nimrod Vax