strace usage question (and CVS-with-ssh bug workaround)

This message contains two parts:
    1) question on strace usage,
    2) a workaround for a bug with cvs/ssh that I've previously reported

I'm using Cygwin-1.1 on windows 98.  I'll provide strace or cygcheck
output upon request, but I suspect you don't need it.

How do I use strace on a program that takes keyboard input?  When I try,
strace exits after the prompt shows up on the screen.  I say that it
exits, becaues stat'ing the log file shows that it never changes again.
But, the process is sitting there hung; I have to hit Ctrl-C to abort it.

Specifically, I'm attempting the following:

    strace -ostrace.out cvs diff myfile

(cvs is using the :ext: method with CVS_RSH set to Sergey's ssh-1.27 port)

I'm looking into a bug that I reported on this list recently, where cvs
hangs after it has apparently done all of it's work.  As previously
mentioned, this bug does not occur on WindowsNT with Cygwin-1.0.  I have
no other datapoints, except that someone confirmed that he sees the same
bug when using windows98.

This CVS bug prevents me from using pcl-cvs in emacs, which I find
indispensible to my productivity.  If you're using cvs on the commandline,
then give the -t option to cvs.  It's safe to hit Ctrl-C when it hangs
after unlinking (Entries.Log if doing an update, or a tmp file if doing a
diff).  Not very reassuring, I know, but I've been successfully using this
technique for a month now and haven't yet corrupted my repository.

thanks,

-jeff