web2c/teTeX

I'm having a hell of a time getting texconfig to run when I do a make
install from either teTeX, or straight web2c.  I'm assuming that it is
skipping generating tex.fmt, since when I run tex.exe it gives me an error
saying it can't find tex.fmt..  Anyway, if anyone can help it would be
great..  It compiles fine for me, it just won't install :(