Re: setup + mingwc10.dll + windows 98 = crash!!

Chris Faylor <cgf at cygnus dot com> wrote:
>>I've been having serious problems tyring to install the
>>latest cygwin-1.1.1, specifically it seems with mingwc10.dll;
>>mingwc10.dll hangs my windows 98 (first edition) system,
>>every time I:
>>- run setup (it hangs processing cygwin-1.1.1.tar.gz)
>>- copy the file in windows explorer
>>- right click in windows explorer and select properties
>
>What, exactly is using mingwc10.dll?
>I don't see why this program that is run by setup.exe that
>uses this DLL.  What makes you think that it is at fault?

Not sure I understand the english here.  In the first line,
are you saying some running process is using mingwc10.dll?

I was doing these things IMMEDIATELY after booting up
(easy since it kept hanging my machine), over and over again,
and yes, I was running setup from a DOS window.  I'm 99.9%
certain I have had no cygwin processes running at all...

(I even deleted mingcw10.dll from /bin, and I think I've tried
copying the new file in thereafter, including after eventually
rebooting, though I'll try that again to be sure).

As for why minwc10.dll is at fault, it seems any interaction
with it crashes my system if it involves READING the file from
disk, or any copy of it.  It seems to have mysterious powers.
Something as minor as right clicking on it in windows explorer,
and selecting "properties", hangs my machine.  Or copying it.
Deleting it is not a problem though.

>Also, if setup is hanging extracting cygwin-1.1.1 that might point
>to the fact that you're running a cygwin program.

I will try a few more experiments.  Thanks!