tar problem in Cygwin 1.1.1 ?

I have just encountered a strange problem with Cygwin 1.1.1

I have downloaded the new XFree binary distributions, and
I have used bunzip2 and tar to extract the files. Now, when
I run some applications, like 'xterm', I get a pop-up window
that says: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022),
            Click OK to terminate the application."

The previous version of xterm from B20 still works (I am using
an Exceed X-server). However, if I re-install the B20.1 distribution,
I get an error again.

I would tend to suspect that perhaps something is becoming wrong
with 'tar', but I may be way off on this one.

Any clue ?

Thanks.
- Andrea Malagoli
  University of Chicago