Re: ld -shared

> Is there any plans to make them work in the same way as shared
> libraries on a Unix machine (I dont know if this is possible or even
> desirable!).

Possible, yes, but not practical.  Windows already has a mechanism
(dlls) so the gains aren't worth the effort.  If you want real shared
libraries, get Interix, which runs on the posix side of NT, or get
Linux.

> I can see how linking an application against either A, B or C will
> work (B and C should automatically include A and so I would not need
> to link explicitly against this). But, can I link an application
> against both B *and* C without causing a problem since A will now be
> included twice.

Yes.  Windows resolves those issues when it loads the DLLs.  Your
program doesn't even need to know that B and C use A, since it only
sees the import libraries, not the whole DLL's objects.