Re: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 05:13:34PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>> > Windows path
>>
>> > I'm assuming by "Make multiple introductory slashes", you're
>> > excluding the
>> > case of "//"?
>>
>>That wasn't exactly what I was thinking.  I used three for emphasis, but
>>meant that one or more initial slashes would be treated as a single initial
>>slash.
>>
>>It is the Friday before a long weekend and I might be completely brain-dead,
>>but I don't remember a special significance to '//' in UNIX.
>
>Right.  The significance is for UNC paths which can be easily access currently
>using "//<server name>/<share name>" in Cygwin now...

I have mixed feelings about this.  I routinely use //sys/share to access remote
shares.  If cygwin had translated sys:share to //sys/share two or three years
ago then I would be using that mechanism instead.

Unfortunately, this use is embedded in various scripts on my machine.  I would
be surprised if I was the only person who would be affected by this.

Bash's use of // should be fixed, IMO.  I did fix it once myself but I never
forwarded the changes to the maintainer.  My bad.

cgf