$OSTYPE - Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !

Hello,

with the lastest version of the bash the content of $OSTYPE has changed from "cygwin" to "cygwin32" again without further notice. Since I used this entry to detect the old B20.1 from the new Cygnus V1.1 I have now a lot of broken scripts and makefiles that have to run on both versions. This drives me really crazy!

So is there any *reliable* method to detect the version of Cygwin from a script ?

Greetings,
Jörg