Re: $OSTYPE - Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !

On Wed, 31 May 00 14:00:08 +0100, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>with the lastest version of the bash the content of $OSTYPE has changed from
"cygwin" to "cygwin32" again without further notice. Since I used this entry to
detect the old B20.1 from the new Cygnus V1.1 I have now a lot of broken scripts
and makefiles that have to run on both versions. This drives me really crazy!

It seems that this version of bash was compiled with the config.guess file
included in the bash distribution. This config.guess stills responds with
i686-pc-cygwin32

>So is there any *reliable* method to detect the version of Cygwin from a script
?

use uname; using bash is a bad idea because bash burns in the values it found on
the host it was built.

Here's how to get the information:

uname
   returns CYGWIN_NT-4.0 or CYGWIN_NT-5.0 (don't know what it returns on
win95/98
uname -r
    returns 1.1.2s(0.21/2/2) ore simmilar. everything before ( is the version
number; s seems to mean snapshot)
uname -m
    returns i686

or, you could distribute config.guess with your script, it returns
i686-pc-cygwin
a good place to find config.guess is libtool-1.3.5.tar.gz on ftp.gnu.org

>Greetings,
>Jörg

Hope that helps,

Micjael Ring