NT authentication w/ inetd problem

I am trying to setup ftpd on our NT server, and am having some problems.
When the login prompt come up, I type in my username and after hitting
return it immediatly rejects me.  I have created the passwd and groups
files, with both domain and local users.  Adding the domain
as described in inetutils.README does not help.  Inetd is being run as
the System user.  I do get an event log entry that says:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ftpd ) could not be
found. It contains the following insertion string(s): ftpd : Win32 Process
Id = 0x99 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x541 : fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument.

Also, telnet lets me enter my password, but rejects me as well.
I am running cygwin v1.1.1, NT4 server, SP5.  Any ideas?  Thanks,

Adam