Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 04:14:29PM -0500, Parker, Ron wrote:
>> >So is there anyway to have 'echo Hello>//h/junk' produce a
>> 6-byte file?
>>
>> Yes.  You use the mount command that was mentioned previously
>> in this thread.
>
>If you are referring to 'mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive', I
>tested it before I sent the original email and again after I recieved your
>response.  Even after doing so,
>	echo Hello>/cygdrive/h/junk	yields 6 bytes
>	echo Hello>//h/junk		yields 7 bytes
>
>If, on the other hand, you are referring to something like 'mount -b H:\\
>//h', it returns without error, nothing shows up in the output from 'mount',
>and I still get a 7 byte file.
>
>I even tried 'mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /' to no avail and 'mount -b
>--change-cygdrive-prefix /' gave a "mount failed: Invalid argument" message.
>
>I may just be thick-headed but I didn't get what mount command you were
>referring to.

I was referring to using the --change-cygdrive-prefix option.  I guess I thought
that it would affect the //h usage too.  But apparently it doesn't.

Since the //h usage is deprecated, I'm not going to worry too much about this.

I don't think that you want to change your cygdrive prefix to /.  That is really
not going to do what you want, I suspect.

cgf